Our efforts to expand the media landscape in Qatar go beyond the classroom and into the community. Through partnerships with key industry organizations in Doha, NU-Q students, faculty, and staff are part of ongoing efforts to expand the country’s media landscape.
Al Jazeera Media Network
NU-Q’s partnership with Al Jazeera Media Network enables students to engage regularly with leading media industry professionals.
The Al Jazeera Speaker Series
The Al Jazeera Speaker Series typically occurs twice per semester at NU-Q, and gives an opportunity for the NU-Q community to gain an insider’s perspective on the media industry. Speakers range from high-level executives at Al Jazeera to producers who report the news as it breaks.
Guests have included:
- Dima Khatib, Managing Director, AJ+
- Mostefa Souag, Director General of Al Jazeera Media Networks (Acting)
- Yaser Bishr, Executive Director of Digital, Al Jazeera Media Network
- Moeed Ahmad, Manager of Innovation and Incubation Group, Al Jazeera Media Network
- Sana Hamouche, Senior Sports Presenter and Producer, Al Jazeera English
- Laila Al-Shaikhli, Presenter, Al Jazeera Arabic
- Jassim Al-Rumaihi, Presenter, Al Jazeera Arabic and NU-Q class of 2012
- Rawaa Kalassina, Presenter, Al Jazeera English
- Carlos Van Meek, Head of Output, Al Jazeera English
- Yasir Khan, Senior Producer, Al Jazeera English
- Rima Davoudi, Interview Producer, Al Jazeera English
NU-Q has hosted strategy workshops for incubating programs at Al Jazeera, including its social media-based news channel, AJ+.
Doha Film Institute
NU-Q and Doha Film Institute (DFI)’s long-standing partnership includes collaborations on research projects, workshops, film screenings, masterclasses, internships, and panel and conference programs.
Media Industries in the Middle East
In 2016, NU-Q and DFI collaborated on Media Industries in the Middle East, one of the most wide-ranging studies of regional media industries to date.
Qatar Computing Research Institute
NU-Q’s partnership with the Qatar Computing Research Institute (QCRI) enables collaboration on the production and dissemination of theoretical and practical knowledge of media, communication, and technology through research and intellectual exchange.