Housing and Dining
Students who live on campus stay in HBKU Student Housing: state-of-the-art facilities infused with Arabic and Islamic design elements, created to be sustainable, bright, practical and inspirational.
Buildings are designed to Leadership in Energy & Environmental Design (LEED) Platinum Level standards, and believed to be the largest grouping of LEED platinum buildings in the world. About 15% of the power used in the residences is collected from renewable energy sources such as wind turbines, solar panels and water-powered fixtures.
First-year students live near each other, but to encourage diversity, the rest of the Student Housing floors are a mixture of students from different Education City universities.
HBKU Student Housing is comprised of:
- Three apartment buildings with 100 rooms each, including studios, one- and two-bedrooms with kitchenettes
- Two residence halls with 150 rooms each, all are one-bedroom without kitchenette
- All housing units are fully furnished, including bedding, wired and wireless Internet access, a television, electronic whiteboard
- All residents have a private bedroom and bathroom
- All rooms have smart-room technology, allowing residents to control temperature and lighting simply by entering the room
- The furniture is modular to encourage students to personalize their space
- Student housing provides ample communal lounges, prayer rooms, study areas and laundry facilities
- Students have access to an on-campus shuttle
- Housing is gender-specific with designated areas that are gender-neutral
The on-campus dining experience is community-centered, fostering a healthy interaction among students, faculty and staff across a range of venues.
Students who live on campus can eat at any of the food venues in Education City. There is a residence dining hall, as well as a cafeteria, several food outlets and a convenience store in the HBKU Student Center. Nearly every university building has its own cafeteria, and coffee shops dot the campus.
For students with a kitchenette, the Education City Lulu Hypermarket is a short shuttle bus ride away.
HBKU apartments and residence halls have 24-hour security staff. Professional staff live on-campus to provide guidance and support. Students’ rooms are secured with electronic locks that use key cards.
Apply for housing
Kindly note that Student Housing is managed by Hamad bin Khalifa University and not Northwestern University. Rooms are allocated on a first-come, first-served basis, and you can apply as soon as you receive your official acceptance from NU-Q. Do not delay in applying for your space.
For any queries, please check the Housing and Residence Life FAQ's document. If you still have other queries, please contact the HBKU Student Housing front desk.
Sun-Wed: 7:00 a.m. - 11:00 p.m.
Thurs-Sat: 7:00 a.m. - 12:00 a.m.
+974 4023 5000 (female housing)
+974 4023 7000 (male housing)