Your application is not complete until the following items have been submitted to the NU-Q admissions office:
- Application Form (Northwestern only accepts online applications)
- Writing samples (electronic only, preferably with the online application)
- Two (2) Teacher’s Reports (preferably sent through the online application)
- Passport copy (preferably sent through the online application)
- Secondary School Report
- Secondary School Transcripts
- Dean’s Certificate (transfer students only)
- Post-secondary transcripts (transfer students only)
- SAT or ACT scores
- TOEFL or IELTS scores
- Extracurricular activity samples (optional)
- Writing test (by invitation, to be completed after submitting other application materials)
- Application fee (see waiver details below)
Please use electronic submission when applicable. Please send paper materials to:
Northwestern University in Qatar
Office of Admissions
P.O. Box 34102
Learn more about each of the required application materials:
- Application Form: This is the basis of your application. Submit your application as soon as possible, even if you plan to submit other documents later. Northwestern accepts online applications only. The 2013-14 application is available here.
- Writing Samples: NU-Q requires a personal statement and an essay. The instructions for each sample are provided in the online application and can be found here.
- Secondary School Report: The Secondary School Report is required (Download here: Secondary School Report). Your school should send us this form, together with your high school transcripts (years 10, 11 and 12), in a sealed and stamped envelope.
- Teacher’s Report: NU-Q requires two (2) Teacher’s Reports from two different references. We strongly recommend using the online application to submit your Teacher's Reports. But if you are unable to provide an online recommendation you may download our Teacher’s Report and submit a paper version. In the case of paper submission, the Teacher’s Reports should come directly from your teachers in sealed and stamped envelopes. Online recommendations automatically generate a Teacher’s Report. Therefore, applicants who submit online recommendations do not need to print or worry about sending a paper Teacher’s Report separately.
- Dean’s Certificate: Only transfer students need to submit a Dean’s Certificate (Download here: Dean’s Certificate). Please complete the student section and submit this form to the university officer who attests to students’ academic standing and disciplinary history. Current and complete transcripts must be attached to this form then sent directly to the Admissions Office in a sealed envelope.
- SAT or ACT scores: Either the SAT or ACT is required. The testing agency should send reports directly to NU-Q and must be received by March 1. Our institutional codes are:
- SAT: 5714
- ACT: 1107
- Note: Qatar Foundation offers SAT/ACT testing services
- TOEFL or IELTS scores: Either the TOEFL or IELTS is required. The testing agency should send reports directly to NU-Q. Our TOEFL institutional code is 5945. TOEFL /IELTS scores should not be more than two years old. Qatar Foundation offers TOEFL/IELTS testing services.
- Extracurricular activity samples: Proof of extracurricular involvement is not required, but may strengthen your application. You may submit small, representative samples of your extracurricular productions. The application form includes sections where you can list your extracurricular activities.
- Controlled Writing Exercise: We require students to take a monitored writing test. We will contact you to schedule a session after we receive your application.
- Application fee: Non-refundable 240 QR ($65 USD) by check or money order, made out to Northwestern University. The Application fee is waived for students who submit online applications by February 10.