Manager of User Support Services
The NU-Q IT Manager of User Support Services plans, staffs, and supervises the NU-Q Help Desk responsible for front-level computing, mobile device, learning, and A/V event support for all NU-Q and central IT services to the NU-Q faculty, staff and students. The role is responsible for the delivery of NU-Q’s computing and mobile device management services.
- This is an overseas position in Qatar, Middle East.
- On call 24/7 and weekend maintenance and upgrade work schedule.
- All final candidates will undergo a comprehensive background check.
- Leads and motivates a customer-focused team that encompasses the Service Desk and Desktop Support functions to provide front-level support to Northwestern University faculty, staff, and students. Performs team management activities including recruiting, onboarding, training, evaluating, managing, and developing assigned staff and student employees. Promotes a team environment oriented to collaborative communication and innovative thinking.
- Develops and monitors team and individual performance metrics to ensure that OLA and SLA targets are consistently met. Effectively measures user satisfaction with IT services, and works within the NU-Q community to improve services and satisfaction over time. Provides service delivery performance reports to IT management as scheduled or requested.
- Advises University schools and departments about technology and the appropriate deployment of NU-Q and Northwestern IT services offerings. Consults with University schools and departments on appropriate new services that enhance delivery of support while recommending achievable goals and resource requirements. Participates in researching end-user device technologies that meet customer experience needs, including demonstrations of such technology.
- Maintains academic service desk industry awareness and pursues professional development opportunities including presenting at and attending appropriate conferences and training.
- Represents NU-Q IT at customer meetings, internal IT meetings, and meetings with distributed IT unit personnel. Effectively contributes to NU-Q IT project efforts including community communication, online service catalog management and metrics. Assigns team members to projects as required while also providing guidance and support to achieve project goals.
- Participates in strategic planning, continuous service improvement and annual budget planning discussions.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- College degree in computer science, MIS, or a related field or equivalent education and experience is required.
- Seven years' experience in IT support with a track record of high performance and increasing responsibility.
- Three years managing technical staff with direct responsibility for a reasonably sized team supporting information technology.
- Demonstrated experience in ITIL key process areas.
- Excellent staff management skills, including: Experience in selection and hiring of customer-focused staff members; Clear programs of staff development through training and mentoring; Clear expression of expectations, goals, and timelines, with appropriate delegation, monitoring of progress
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including public speaking and the ability to clearly present technology solutions and services to non-technical staff and administrators.
- Infrastructure (extends across applications): Microsoft Exchange, Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access, Outlook), Microsoft SharePoint.
- Analytical: critical thinking, decision making, judgment, problem solving, troubleshooting, use-case analysis.
- Project: budgeting, collaboration and teamwork, functional documentation, organizational skills, planning, workflow development & documentation.
Preferred Qualifications: (Education and experience):
- Ability to establish and maintain respectful and effective relationships with management, co-workers and customers.
- Ability to work effectively with a range of responsible parties throughout the University, either as a project leader or as a team member, to advance projects to timely and successful completion.
- Demonstrated ability to analyze problems from multiple points of view, to lead consensus building within groups with differing views, and to translate consensus into planned action.
- Demonstrated familiarity with desktop computing and ticketing system environments
- Ability to act on own initiative to further organizational and University goals.
- Master's degree in Computer Science or a related field.
- Past experience in university or highly-decentralized corporate environment with career emphasis on planning and delivering end user support services.
- ITIL V3 Certification.
- HDI or PMP certification.
Applications must be sent through the Northwestern University eRecruit system. To find listings for the Qatar campus:
- Go to http://careers.northwestern.edu
- In the Primary Location menu on the left, select "Doha, Qatar"
As per Northwestern University policy, this position requires a criminal background check. Successful applicants will need to submit to a criminal background check prior to employment.
Northwestern University is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action Employer of all protected classes including veterans and individuals with disabilities.
Date Posted: August 24, 2017